What documents do I need to for a Replacement Number Plate?

To have your number plates made you will need to bring the correct documents with you. The law states that you must provide current proof of identity and proof of entitlement to the registration mark (vehicle reg) quoted in order to get replacement number plates.


At least one of the following original documents from each of the lists below is required for us to supply you with a legal number plate – i.e. so you need to bring one document listed under ‘proof of identity’, and one from the list ‘proof of entitlement’. The two documents you provide enable us to verify your name, address and vehicle entitlement. We only accept the following documents:


1. Proof of Identity:

  • Driving licence
  • Bank/Building Society statement issued within the last six months
  • Current utility, telephone or Council Tax bill issued within the last six months
  • Passport
  • National ID card issued by the Government of a state of territory other than the UK
  • Debit or credit card issued by a bank or building society
  • Police warrant card
  • Armed forces identity card


Please remember – whichever proof of identity document you bring along needs to show your name and address.


2. Proof of Entitlement:

  • A Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C) (Please be aware only the new red V5C Certificates are accepted, and not the old blue V5 Certificates)
  • The tear-off slip (V5C/2) from (V5C section 10)
  • A Certificate of entitlement to a mark (V750)
  • A Cherished Transfer Retention Certificate (V778)
  • A Vehicle Licence Renewal (V11)
  • A Temporary Registration Certificate (V379)
  • An Authorisation Certificate (V948) from DVLA Local Office with official DVLA stamp, or a downloaded hard copy of the eV948 (Unfortunately we cannot accept forms shown to us on phones.)
  • A letter of authorisation from Fleet Operators (including a lease/hire company). The letter must quote the document reference number from the V5C


For us create your registration plates you may sometimes need to provide a third document if the two documents brought into store do not show your address. For example, if you bring a credit card and V948 document, none of these display your current address – therefore you would need to bring along another listed document for proof of address.